Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Another appointment with no answers

I took Big Al to Children's last week. It was time for his "official" six month check up with the endo doctor. Well.. he gained a whole 2 measly pounds in six months.. I personally can gain 2 pounds in a weekend (or less!!) and his height gain was very minimal, probably only shown as an increase due to needing a haircut!
I did request that they test him for lead poisoning, which they did... his levels came back at very low. His doctor was really hesitant to test for lead.. her EXACT words were, "We really only test for kids who eat paint chips.... (then looking at Big Al she says..."oh never mind - forgot!"... I had a hard time not busting up at her question! The kid has practially stripped his bunk bed of any paint!
So, moving forward... we are applying to get HGH (human growth hormone) approved from the insurance company. Since he apparently has enough growth hormone in his system, they are applying for it under the diagnosis of ideopathic short stature aka (ISS) which basically means they have no answers to why he really will not grow!
According to Children's, it could take up to 3 months to see if we can get approved. It is a lengthy process because typically, for children with ISS, it is a "cosmetic" drug... that cracks me up - but oh well!
We are still trying to do our part to get the kid to EAT, but it is an exhausting and frustrating process... one that I wish I did not have to deal with!

0 comments: