Sunday, March 01, 2009

Our newest additions....

It's a bird... it's a plane.....???? Nope... its.......

BABY COWS!

Last Tuesday, I did something I was not sure I really ever wanted to do... but, its done! The kids and I picked out 2 calves to raise! Since we have handled the "eating the pig" thing from last year, we figured that this would be a good time! We have two adorable little Jersey bull-calves! One is about 37 days old, and the other around 45 days old. We are currently bottle-feeding them twice a day.. fun! Actually, it is sort of an arm workout - as they get a little pushy when really hungry! At this age, they are super cute! Hard to believe in 18 months they will be on the grill! We have yet to name them.

This one cow is a little more "friendly" than Miss O appreciated! He is a little "flirty"! He will need part of his "man-hood" taken care of shortly!

Little J was in charge of bottle feeding last night

Big Al did bottle feeding this morning

I hope that all the kiddos will enjoy this experience! The calves will be living in the pig pen for the next few weeks, until we get a seperate pasture set up - so the horses don't make kicking targets out of them! Next critter project will be our baby chicks that we will have at the end of March! What fun! (quick - someone do a sanity check on me!)

3 comments:

mol said...

Amy,
You're getting a regular old petting zoo. They are soooo cute! Names hmmmm...how about steak and patty:)

liesel said...

We did the same thing yeseterday! Got two baby calves. But woke up this morning and one is dead. :( Trying to figure out what went wrong. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Dad says, "Where's the beef?" and you are definitely loosing it, ha.
You have the setting for another two little critters, so why not.... I don't know about the chicks - your fatality rate is pretty high...... Nana