A little over six months ago, I took Big Al to Children's Hospital in Seattle for some testing to determine if there was any "medical" reason for lack of "growth".... Pretty much things came back that he had some delayed bone growth, and if all went well, he would mature to be a somewhat "normal" height....(5'5 to 5'7) the part about "if all went well" was regarding his eating habits and actually putting on weight!
Wellllll... here we are six+ months later - and guess what????? ZERO weight gain - he actually lost a little over a pound.... grrrrrrr....
He is actually throwing out the "good" things in his lunch and eating the "healthy" stuff! Daily - he throws out his sandwich - which is the big amount of protein - usually pb&j - since he won't even consider lunch meat! For a few days - I made him JUST a sandwich and his juice... still - he decided to go (as far as I know) hungry. I don't fill his lunch with sugary snacks, as the last thing this kid needs is any more stimulation. He gets things like homemade dried fruit, fruit leather, veggies, string cheese and maybe an occasional cookie or mini-mint pattie. The kid needs proteins, not carbs - and not alot of added extra sugar!
I am running out of "reasonable" options! I could push the doctor to write a letter requiring him to have supervised lunch time... oh that would really chap his hide!! Or, I could have him eat numerous smaller snack-lunches while in special ed classes...... Or I could just let it go and pull him out of all his sports and activities so he can study FOOD full time!
I know most of his issue is that it is a control thing... he wants to be in control - and there is no one there to keep him accountable for making a good choice - and he knows that! No matter how many discussions we have - no matter how many good points we bring up about WHY it is important to eat - no matter how many incentives... nothing is working!
I had to schedule another appointment at Children's for 2 weeks out... I just don't know what else to do... driving me nuts! Part of me says to just LET IT GO... but the smart part says that there will be long term consequences if I don't just do everything in my power - no matter how exhausting, stressful, time consuming and annoying it is!
Grrrrr is the only way to describe it!
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Back to the drawing board.... grrrrr
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Ok, number one problem was going to Children's. I haven't been impressed with the three specialists we've met.
Number two-there is an anti-histamine that is supposed to increase the appetite of kids, I am seeing Z's physiatrist about it next month it's called periactin, moms on my CP board swear by it. We give Z a cap full of olive oil in just about everything he eats giving him an extra 110 calories plus he gets a snack twice a day at school besides lunch and ensure. Have your doctor write the order so school has to make it happen...just some ideas!
Post a Comment