Thursday, September 02, 2010

An update on my Dad

I wish I had more positive news on my Dad. I am pretty bummed about his situation. I have been visiting him a couple times a day this week to check on him and give him some company. Apparently, he has a bacterial infection in the urinary tract. What is worse is that somehow, this is causing kidney failure. The doctor told me the other night that his time with us is down to days. What a gut punch! My Dad is VERY upset about the fact that the hospital wants him to sign all sorts of "End of Life" stuff and make those "decisions". The hospital would like to release him, but will not until he agrees to hospice care at home.... he hates that word!
I took the kids in to see him today - fortunately, he was in good spirits and talked to them... it broke my heart though to have to start talking to the kids about how Grandpa IS dying. The timing is pretty bad - with the Fair going on and school starting next week and then having to drop on them the fact that their favorite Grandpa will be gone soon.
Though my Dad has had YEARS of cancer and many times where we have been told the outlook was not good - I guess we just "assumed" that this time he might pull through... there is still hope in my heart!

0 comments: