Friday, October 24, 2008

Living cheap... how do YOU do it?

With all the fun stuff going on with the economy - it seems everyone is cutting back on "something"! I guess in many ways... I am just more relieved that the gas price is back down under $3 a gallon! I have watched many of the prices at the grocery stores slowly creep up... and since we have many varieties of 4-legged's (and feathery two legged's) we have seen a huge increase in the cost of feeding them as well! I have always tried to be somewhat frugal... I love finding something new and easy that will save me time and money!

Here are a few of my favorite sites that I frequent:
Hill Billy Housewife
Paper Back Swap
The Family Homestead
Money Saving Moms
Living on a Dime
Mommy Savers

One site that I use almost daily is Goodsearch.com ! Since money IS tighter - it is not as easy to donate to the causes near and dear to my heart... Most often I search for An Orphan's Bright Star - which supports orphanages in Ukraine.

I also do all my online shopping through sites that give something back to me! I use MyPoints.com way too much! I get alot of great gift cards back as rewards - which is great because sometimes I forget they are coming and its a nice surprise in the mail! If you want to join Mypoints - leave me a comment and I will get a referral email to you (that gives me more points too!! hehe!)

I was trying to think of all the things that I do to help save the family money - I might as well list them... give myself some much needed accolades for the day! hehe

* I air-dry at least 3 loads of laundry each week
* I won't pay more than $1.25 for a box of cereal (usually I get it for a buck w/coupons + on sale!)
* I usually only buy kids clothes when they are off season and on clearance. And they wear the heck out of them! (Miss O is currently excluded.... there are too many cute toddler girl outfits!)
* When there is a great sale on toys - I buy early for Xmas and birthdays...
* I sell a few things on ebay and craigslist every so often
* I keep the grocery budget right around $300 a month (excluding Costco @ $300) for a family of 5.... that usually includes the 2 dogs and 2 cats as well!)
* All kiddos usually have some hand-me downs from others... sports gear included!
* My thermostat is set fairly low - year round
* Each month I find one "small" thing that we can do to help cut our electric bill... this month we are putting foam insulation behind our outlets and lightswitches that are on the outside walls of the house.
* Pay a majority of all our "bills" online

Boy - I thought that there was more!
So - what things do YOU do to help save your family some dough???? Please share!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks Donna for the UPromise info.. yep - we've been doing that for a few years now!

Take care!

C said...

I do all sorts of things, but the thing that has saved us the most in the last year is my homemade laundry detergent. Sooooooo much cheaper - and our family of seven does a buttload of laundry!