Friday, April 30, 2010

Finally Friday!



It has been one looooong week I tell ya! Today, Miss O and I went to watch Little J and his choir sing at CWU for a couple of hours... the choir is getting so much better! We spent the rest of the day running countless numbers of errands and just making it home in time to get things rolling for dinner!
Knock on wood - Little J has been doing pretty well... he has a better attitude and loves to offer to help - especially lately... not sure why... but I am not going to question it (yet!!).

We have had a really long and mentally/physically exhausting week with Big Al. We have found more items being hoarded in his room and he is back on the "eating crayons" band wagon! He has brought home small garbage items and been hiding them to eat them at night. It is unfortunate that we cannot find a counselor that specializes in PICA (which is the medical term for what he has). I have horrible fears that he is going to eat something really wrong that will either tear him up on the inside or cause real serious poisioning. We can talk to him about it until we are blue in the face - and have on many occasions. It is really a very sad situation for him, as his condition forces us to be extremely over-vigilant about where he is and what he is doing. I feel more like a prison warden than a mom on most days... searching through every offafice of his room, patting him down morning and night for "contraban"...
I have had numerous incidents of "intuition" with Big Al, that have proved 100% dead-on... and I hate knowing that if we don't have an eagle-eye on him, he will do something that will cause him harm.
Trying to figure out what to do with him this summer is going to be a challenge! There is no summer school or long-term summer programs locally with enough supervision to handle him...... I sure wish we had more military boarding schools close by!!

1 comments:

junglemama said...

Wow-- sorry about all that you are going through with big Al!