Monday, January 18, 2010

Not the best news... but news none-the-less

Today, Big Al's doctor at Children's Hospital called us with the results of last weeks growth hormone testing. The doc was upbeat and excited about the results... I was not.
Apparently, they wanted to see Big Al have a hormone level of 10 (10 of what - I can't remember!) his came in at 21.. which was DOUBLE the norm. This was exciting for the doc because it ruled out the fact that his body did not produce enough growth hormone. Unfortunately though, it does not explain WHY he is not growing!
So, the doctor does not want to see him for another 3 months. She is counting on the fact that he will grow a significant amount (for him) in that time period... then she can just say he had a delayed spurt..... In my heart, I know that this is not the case, but at this point, I am so tired.... When I asked her what should we do until the next appointment, she said to keep doing everything that we have been doing for the last 6 months!
Her response about killed me! I don't believe that I have the mental or physical stamina to keep after this kid for another three months.. I'm worn out! I am tired of requiring him to finish his meals.. to count the calories, fat and proteins in everything he eats, to keep bugging his teachers to make sure he eats his snacks... all these things just chew away at my patience! It may not seem like it is a big deal to most people... but when you have to deal with the numerous other challenges that Big Al has, it takes its toll.
For the first time in a long while, I just sat down and cried out of sheer frustration and emotional stress. We have so many things to figure out with Big Al, I just wanted something to come out with an answer for us.. just one thing to help clear the clouds for once. Apparently, this one is going to stay on the stove for awhile. How many burners can a stove have anyways??

0 comments: